Prepare all the parts for painting

Well here we are in the middle of COVID-19 lock down. Work had been really busy for us helping everyone get set up working from home but this week things have started to calm down a bit.

So, what do I do with this spare time? Build on!

I spent a whopping 21 hours this week preparing all these parts for painting. Starting with the big side skins.

Every single hole gets deburred…

All the pen marks and printed marks need to be removed with solvent…

Then the entire thing gets scuffed so the primer can stick better…

Next I cover all the holes that should NOT be dimpled! This involved a lot of checking the plans and others builder logs.

Finally I dimpled all the open holes.

Next I detached the centre section from the aft fuselage…

And removed the bulhead for deburring…

Next I removed the massive longerons…

Countersunk and prepped them…

With a little help from Karma I got the centre section onto the bench and deburred as much as possible.

As well as the main bulkhead…

I scuffed parts of the aft fuselage where it would be overlapped by the centre section.

Once all the deburring and prep was finished I then finished the week by washing & degreasing as many parts as I could get done.

Parts that were washed were hung up to dry.

Once the parts had dried I put them in a storage container (lined with new packing paper to keep the parts clean).

Finally, after much thought and consultation with the RV Squadron forum, I decided to make reinforcements for the armrests. I’ve seen more than enough damaged armrests to convince me this was a good idea.

So, what a week! After spending so much time on this it’s weird that it feels like I haven’t made a dent! Hopefully next week will seem more productive.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: